Healthcare professionals simulation training
At Southeast Georgia Health System, our mission is to provide safe, effective, and compassionate care for our patients. The Center for Educational Development is a testament to this commitment. This one-of-a-kind center, located less than a mile from our Brunswick Campus, provides a unique opportunity for health care professionals and organizations to experience full adult, pediatric and neonate simulation training. It is the largest hospital-based simulation center in a four-state area.
About the Center
The 6,000-square-foot medical training center is one of the largest community hospital-based simulation centers in a four-state area. Designed to provide a hospital-like environment in which professionals can practice their skills, the Center includes a conference room, lecture classroom, two computer control rooms and a debriefing area. Eight skill rooms include:
- Medical student task trainer room
- Nursing skills task trainer room
- Nursing station
- Two ambulatory care rooms
- Maternity/operating room
- Pediatric room
- Medical/surgical room
- ICU/ER room
- Long-term care room
- Customer service, home care room
- Front office/reception
The Center for Education Development also boasts the most highly evolved human patient simulators available for hands-on learning.
Putting safety first
Beyond practicing patient care in a no-risk environment, the Center for Educational Development is here to enhance professionals' communication skills and foster enhanced teamwork. Our goal is to keep health care professionals current in the latest technologies and techniques, helping them achieve increased competence, confidence and effectiveness. The Center for Educational Development represents a significant investment in patient care. It is one more way Southeast Georgia Health System is demonstrating our commitment to providing the safest and highest quality patient care, delivered with compassion.
In addition to Southeast Georgia Health System physicians and staff, clinical opportunities as well as classes on customer service, communication and teamwork are available to:
- Affiliating medical schools
- Local and regional first responders (fire and EMT)
- Online schools requiring clinical skill check-offs
- Hospitals and long-term care facilities
- Physician and dentist practices
- Other health care agencies/providers
The Center for Educational Development is staffed by clinical professionals whose experience covers the entire spectrum of medical care. Their job is to train health care professionals in new technology, techniques, teamwork and communicating with compassion.
While it's rare for a community health system to open a simulation lab with more than one or two simulators, Southeast Georgia Health System invested in nine highly evolved simulators, many of which can speak, cry, sweat, breathe and perform other human functions. They can bleed, give birth, and have seizures and heart attacks. This level of realism provides exposure to complexities that help medical professionals sharpen their skills. In the end, the Center provides the highest-caliber training possible for the region's health care professionals.
The simulators we use include:
- SimMan® 3G: A full-body simulator that emits heart, lung and bowel sounds. He talks, sweats, blinks and breathes, and can be programmed to simulate a wide variety of illnesses and trauma.
- NOELLE® S575: For normal and emergency obstetric and neonatal simulation.
- Newborn HAL®: A newborn simulator that has a pulse and breathes. He also exhibits color and vital signs that are responsive to hypoxic events and interventions.
- SimBaby™: An advanced, do-it-all baby manikin for practicing intubation, defibrillation, stomach decompression, CPR, EKG monitoring and more.
- SimJunior®: A high-end pediatric manikin for emergency and medical/surgical training.
- Grandma Chase & Convalescent Kelly: Two simulators that are ideal for exercises in patient transfer/handling and hygiene, bandaging fingers and toes, administering liquid feedings, catheter insertion, ostomy care and all basic care techniques.
- Nurse Anne: A simulator that has a head with anatomical landmarks, a trachea and esophagus. Also includes lungs and stomach for the practice of nasogastric or orogastric tube insertion, trach care and suctioning.
- Advanced Life Support Simulator: A full body simulator used to train airway, cardiac and trauma management skills.
Additional task trainers
Nursing task trainers:
- Adult/Pediatric Airway Management Trainer
- Arterial Line Arm
- Blood Pressure Training Arm
- Chester Chest Central Line Trainer
- Geriatric IV Arm (1)
- IV Arm Adult (2)
- IV PICC Line Trainer
- Male/Female Catheterization Trainers
- Pediatric Intraosseous Legs
- Pediatric IV Arm
- Surgical Site/Drain Bandaging Trainer
- Trach Trainer
- Wound Care Buttocks
Medical student task trainers:
- Adult and Pediatric Lumbar Puncture Trainers
- Adult/Pediatric Airway Management Head
- Arterial Arm Trainer
- Central Line (Subclavian/Jugular/Femoral) Trainer
- Chester Chest Central Line/PICC Trainer
- Endo Tracheal Cutout Head
- Gynecologic Pelvic Trainer
- Suture Arm (3)
- Suture Training Board (3)
Patient simulators at the Center help recreate real-life medical situations, allowing health care professionals and students the opportunity to practice and master the latest techniques for patient care with zero chance of patient injury.
Every simulation room at the Center for Educational Development is equipped with cameras and microphones to record activity in real time. Instructors review the recordings and debrief participants, providing feedback on their performance.
Examples of the scenarios re-created at the Center include:
- Cardiac emergency
- Childbirth (natural and cesarean)
- Neonatal emergencies
- Advanced cardiac life support
- Multi-system failure
- Pulmonary embolism
- Wound management
- Pediatric life support
Classes on customer service and communication skills are also offered.
To learn how your organization can leverage the area's leading hospital-based clinical education center, call 912-466-7650. You can also download a free copy of our brochure and our fact sheet.