What is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)?
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), more commonly referred to as acid
reflux, is a chronic medical condition. If you suffer from this chronic
condition, you’ve probably experienced uncomfortable symptoms that
have forced you to give up or change your lifestyle in order to manage
Learn more about GERD
Symptoms of GERD
- Laryngitis and hoarseness
- Trouble sleeping
- Persistent cough
- Soreness in chest & throat/throat clearing
What causes GERD / acid reflux?
GERD is caused when the gastroesophageal valve (GEV) does not work correctly.
The GEV is the body’s natural antireflux barrier. If the valve does
not close properly then it allows stomach fluids to flow up into the esophagus.
Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF®) with EsophyX®
If you suffer from consistent heartburn or acid reflux, you may be a candidate
for the Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF) procedure. The TIF
procedure treats the underlying cause of GERD without incisions. The procedure
rebuilds the valve between the esophagus and the stomach, restoring the
body’s natural protection against reflux. Because the procedure
is incisionless, patients also enjoy the benefits of a faster recovery,
no scarring, and fewer adverse complications.
Who is a good candidate for the TIF procedure?
Good candidates for the TIF procedure include people who:
- Are 18 years or older
- Experience regular symptoms associated with GERD
- No longer respond to or are dissatisfied with anti-reflux medications
- Have concerns about long-term effects of taking proton pump inhibitors
- Have a hiatal hernia less than 2 cm in size
- Have a body mass index (BMI) less than 35
GERD Health-Related Quality of Life Questionnaire