August 23, 2021 – Following the recommendation from the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), Southeast Georgia
Health System is now offering a third dose of the
Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to individuals with specific immune conditions at its
Brunswick and Camden Campus vaccine clinics.
Currently, the CDC is only recommending moderately to severely immunocompromised
individuals receive the third dose. This includes people who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the bloo
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last two years or are taking
medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome,
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may
suppress your immune response
People should talk to their health care provider about their medical condition,
and whether getting an additional dose is appropriate for them.
Those seeking a third dose must provide documentation of their medical
condition from their physician. They must receive the same vaccine, Pfizer or Moderna, as received for
their first and second dose. The third dose can be received as early as
28 days after the second dose. Those who received their first and second
doses earlier this year are eligible now as long as they qualify based
on the CDC conditions listed above.
The Health System will offer third dose Pfizer and Moderna vaccines at
both of its vaccine clinics on the Brunswick and Camden campuses. Walk-ins
are permitted based on vaccine availability; appointments are strongly
encouraged to ensure vaccine availability. To schedule an appointment, visit
sghs.org/covid19-vaccine. The schedule is as follows:
• Brunswick Campus: Tuesdays, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., and Thursdays, 4-6 p.m.
• Camden Campus: Mondays, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
The Health System anticipates being able to provide third doses to everyone
age 12 and older by September 20, 2021 based on CDC guidelines.
The Georgia Department of Public Health vaccination clinic locations are
listed online at
gachd.org/vaccine or call 912-230-5506.