March 10, 2020 – The health and safety of patients, visitors and
team members is a top priority for Southeast Georgia Health System. While
no cases of
coronavirus have been identified in southeast Georgia to date, in an effort to prepare
for possible cases in our region and to minimize the spread of contagious
illnesses such as the flu or coronavirus, Health System officials are
implementing visitor restrictions, effective immediately.
Visitor restrictions include:
- Individuals experiencing cold or flu like symptoms, including fever, cough,
or shortness of breath, should NOT visit patients in the hospitals or
Senior Care Centers.
- No more than two healthy visitors at a time are permitted to visit an inpatient
- Only one visitor is permitted to accompany an Emergency Care Center (ECC)
patient in the treatment area.
- Children age 12 or younger are restricted from visiting.
Visitors who are not experiencing symptoms are welcome to visit their loved
ones. Visitors should wash their hands frequently while in the hospital
or use the hand sanitizers available in each patient’s room.
Preventing the Spread of Illness
The Health System encourages everyone to be proactive and to use appropriate
methods to prevent the spread of contagious illnesses. Prevention methods include:
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently.
- Avoid touching your face (mouth, nose, eyes).
- Stay home if you are sick until the illness is resolved.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, dispose of it immediately and wash hands.
- Wipe down frequently touched surfaces, including door knobs, computers,
cell phones, light switches.
- Avoid shaking hands, including fist-bumps, and hugs.
- Stay five to six feet away from others who are coughing or ill.
If You Are Experiencing Symptoms
If someone is experiencing flu-like or coronavirus symptoms they can help
prevent spreading it to loved ones and the community by staying home unless
they are seeking medical care. Individuals should first call their health
care provider’s office for recommendations on where to seek care,
including instructions to prevent the spread of illness to others.
For more information regarding the coronavirus, its spread, prevention
and travel information, please refer to the Center for Disease Control
and Prevention at