We'll help you figure out if you have a cold or the flu and know what
to do. If your symptoms are more serious, go straight to an Immediate
Care Center or Emergency Care Center (see locations below.)
Top Facts on the Flu:
- 5% to 20% of people in the U.S. population get the flu each year.
- 1 to 4 days is the average time it takes for symptoms to show.
- Every year is how often people should get their flu shot (flu virus can change).
People who are at high risk for getting the flu include:
- Pregnant women
- Children younger than 5
- People ages 65+
- Asthma sufferers
- People with morbid obesity
- Those who have diabetes
- Heart disease patients
Cold vs. Flu Symptoms
- Low or no fever
- Mild cough
- Mild fatigue
- Slight body aches
- No chills
- Slight headache
- Stuffy/ runny nose
- Sore throat
- Gradual onset
- Lasts 7-10 days
- High fever
- Severe cough
- Severe fatigue, can last for weeks
- Severe body aches
- Stuffy/runny nose
- Sore throat
- Fast onset
- Lasts up to several weeks
How to prevent sickness before symptoms start:
- Get your flu shot.
- Avoid contact with others who are ill.
- Wash hands often.
- Eat healthy and exercise.
What to do if you have a cold or the flu:
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Drink fluids, especially water.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, decongestants and/or cough medicine.
- Limit contact with others to avoid infecting them.
- Clean surfaces and objects with disinfectants.
Go to an IMMEDIATE CARE CENTER or your PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN if you have:
- Persistent high fever
- Persistent flu symptoms
Immediate Care Center Locations:
Glynco Immediate Care Center
15 Gable Court, Brunswick
Glynn Immediate Care Center
3400 Parkwood Drive, Brunswick
St. Simons Immediate Care Center
5000 Wellness Way, St. Simons Island
Go to an EMERGENCY CARE CENTER if you have:
- Flu symptoms that resolve but return with high fever/worse cough or trouble
- Chest pain
- Fever with rash
- Sudden dizziness or confusion.
Emergency Care Center Locations:
Emergency Care Center-Brunswick Campus
2415 Parkwood Drive, Brunswick
Emergency Care Center-Camden Campus
2000 Dan proctor Drive, St. Marys