Wanda McIntosh was crowned Ms. Senior Care Center-St. Marys during its
annual pageant on March 29, 2016. The pageant included thirteen contestants
vying for the title.
Judges interviewed the contestants with a series of questions, including
their opinion on life’s great pleasures and the person they admire
most and why. Contestants were evaluated on their personality, physical
appearance in relation to their age, alertness, attitude toward life and
participation in Senior Care Center activities.
This year’s winner, Wanda McIntosh, enjoys sewing, cooking and fishing.
The birth of her children and spending time with her four grandchildren
and three great grandchildren are two of her life’s special moments.
She has two daughters with her “hubby” John Fuller. She has
been a Senior Care Center-Saint Marys resident for five months.
First runner-up was Elaine Burns, a resident who enjoys reading nonfiction
and mystery books. Her life’s special moment took place when she
married her husband, Bill, and travelled by car for their honeymoon.
Joyce Myers, second runner-up, has twelve children, thirty-nine grandchildren
and thirty great grandchildren. Her favorite activities include sewing
and cooking, and her life’s special moment is seeing the fruits
of her life’s work through the three generations.
Third runner-up, Joyce Garcia, enjoys watercolor painting, sewing, embroidery,
crocheting, reading and adult coloring books. She has six children, eighteen
grandchildren, and one great granddaughter. Her life’s special moment
was attending her children’s graduations and her own college graduation.
She added that after four single birth pregnancies it was surprisingly
special to give birth to identical twin boys.
Additional contestants included:
- Patricia Rumptz, enjoys tennis, golf and swimming. She has two daughters.
- Lucille Chancey, enjoys reading the bible. She was married to the late
- Linda Fisher, enjoys singing and visiting her neighbors. She has four sons
and one daughter.
- Theresa Budzinski, enjoys crosswords, knitting, and crocheting.
- Brandi Smith, enjoys coloring, music and movies. Her life’s special
moment was when she met Kenny Rogers.
- Regina Williams, enjoys word searches, bingo and Zumba. She is also enjoying
- Vernell Campbell, enjoys singing old gospel songs. Her life’s special
moment was when she gave her life to the Lord.
- Anita Gregoire, enjoys socializing and being a great grandmother.
- Janine McDowell, enjoys reading and music. She is proud of becoming an
Contestants were greeted by special guest Hope Philips, Miss Wildcat 2016,
and Bill Bruce performed musical entertainment on the piano. The panel
of distinguished judges included Paula Veno, Nina McEachin, Dr. Faustina
Mitchell, Mary T. Smith and Robin Curtes. Contestant escorts included
Al Virgin, Jerry Dellinger, Bill Moore, Sam Colville, Lieutenant Shannon
Brock, and Senior Chief Sewell “Tom” Brown, USN, Ret. The
event was coordinated by Liz Brown, activity specialist, Senior Care Center-St. Marys.