BRUNSWICK, Georgia: Sept. 30, 2009—Southeast Georgia Health System
is pleased to announce the opening of the new Breast Care Center on its
Brunswick Campus on October 12, 2009. Women will now have access to comprehensive
breast health services under one roof, in a soothing and comfortable environment.
Along with providing the most advanced imaging technology, the new comprehensive
Center will offer education to women about breast health and the importance
of early detection. In 2008, nearly 5,000 new cases of breast cancer were
recorded in the state, with more than 1,000 women dying from the disease.
According to the American Cancer Society, mammography screenings are believed
to save thousands of lives each year by detecting breast cancer early.
The new Breast Care Center will offer comprehensive services, including:
- Digital mammography
- Breast MRI for high-risk women (Available December 2009)
- Breast ultrasound
- MRI-guided breast biopsy (Available December 2009/January 2010)
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI)
- Computer-aided software that double checks mammography images and highlights
the smallest suspicious areas
- Self-breast exam instruction using MammaCare® models
- A dedicated resource center and library
Additionally, a Breast Care Center coordinator will provide a single point
of contact for patients, the physicians, and professional staff, allowing
for a seamless continuum of care.
The Center’s physicians are breast health specialists in the areas
of pathology, radiology, radiation oncology, general surgery, and hematology/oncology.
Their years of experience and expertise make the new Breast Care Center
at Southeast Georgia Health System a regional leader in diagnosis and
For more information, call 1-800-537-5142, extension 5202 or visit www.sghs.com.