Patient Experience

When Bob Davis was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he faced a difficult decision — either have surgery to remove his prostate or face a long series of radiation treatments with lingering side effects. He began looking for an alternative. (read more)

Robert Davis

Paul Christian, a 58-year-old retired marine biologist and avid cyclist, has been active all his life. When his right shoulder began bothering him about three years ago, he thought the pain would go away on its own, but instead it grew worse. (read more)

Paul Christian

Myra Hanners, a 64-year-old Brunswick native, has lived with pain for most of her life. Born with a right foot that has only three toes and an ankle with missing bone, she underwent many experimental surgeries at a medical center in Augusta when she was a young girl. (read more)

Myra Hanners

When Mindy Egan needed to find a nursing home for her ailing father, she had little experience in the matter. After researching her options, Mindy chose the Southeast Georgia Health System Senior Care Center–Brunswick because of the warm, professional attitude of the staff; its clean, bright appearance; and the fact that it is owned by the Health System. (read more)

Michael Evanick

Marilyn Harris has worked for 30 years as a nurse in Jesup and knows her way around the medical community. When she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2008, it was a shock, but she didn't think twice about choosing Abraham Cheong, M.D., board-certified oncologist with Southeast Georgia Physician Associates–Hematology & Oncology, a strategic affiliate of Southeast Georgia Health System, as her oncologist. (read more)

Marilyn Harris

Marilyn Harris has worked for 30 years as a nurse in Jesup and knows her way around the medical community. When she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2008, it was a shock, but she didn't think twice about choosing Abraham Cheong, M.D., board-certified oncologist with Southeast Georgia Physician Associates–Hematology & Oncology, a strategic affiliate of Southeast Georgia Health System, as her oncologist. (read more)

Marilyn Harris

When Delores Johnson began experiencing pain and severe chills one February morning, she headed to the St. Simons Immediate Care Center, a strategic affiliate of the Southeast Georgia Health System. Acting on the advice of James Snow, D.O., Delores decided to go to the Emergency Care Center at the Health System's Brunswick Campus. (read more)

Jake and Delores Johnson

Fifty-one-year-old Sharon Davis has many passions, including hunting and fishing with her husband and spending time with her two grown daughters and their families. In March 2012, fighting breast cancer became a new passion for Sharon. (read more)

Sharon Davis

Three years ago, 79-year-old Sanford S. Feller, the energetic president of a manufacturing firm, experienced a bout of diverticulitis so severe he was unable to walk or talk. He wound up being hospitalized for six months at the Southeast Georgia Health System Camden Campus with low blood pressure and congestive heart failure. (read more)

Sanford Feller

Bob Groote dreaded the thought of having total hip replacement surgery. As the owner of a busy commercial real estate brokerage, he didn't have time to be out of commission. Eventually the pain became unbearable, and he agreed to undergo surgery at the Southeast Georgia Health System Brunswick Campus. (read more)

Bob Groote

When Raymond Massey paid a visit to the annual Heart Health Day at the Southeast Georgia Health System Camden Campus, he was expecting a clean bill of health. At age 82, he was quite active, walking up to five miles a day and enjoying life. A winter snowbird from Rhode Island, Raymond had come to spend the winter in Kingsland with his daughter. He was surprised when a potential problem was spotted during his EKG. Echo Technician Teresa Fisher asked if he had a cardiologist and recommended that he consult with one as soon as possible. (read more)

Raymond Massey

When Patti Wilcher was diagnosed with cancer, her treatment plan called for two months of chemotherapy, followed by radiation therapy. There were several places she could go to for her treatments, including Savannah or Waycross, but she chose Southeast Georgia Health System. (read more)

Patti Wilcher

For the birth of her third child, Max, in July 2011, Natasha Williams returned to the Southeast Georgia Health System Miriam & Hugh Nunnally Maternity Care Center on the Brunswick Campus. Having delivered her two older children there, she felt comfortable with the hospital's high level of care. (read more)

Natasha Williams

When 88-year-old Mary Ridarsick moved from Fort Lauderdale to Jesup with her husband six years ago, she was excited to be returning home after more than 40 years. But there was one thing that worried her. She needed to find a good doctor for her asthma. Her condition was bad enough that she had been hospitalized several times, and her doctors in Florida still hadn't found the right combination of medications to successfully manage her symptoms. (read more)

Mary Ridarsick

Linda Pinson is very familiar with Southeast Georgia Health System, having served on the board of the Glynn-Brunswick Memorial Hospital Authority for 12 years and as chairperson for seven years. (read more)

Linda S. Pinson

Bill Tipton's retirement plans did not include becoming sedentary. In fact, he relished the idea of retiring and having more time to pursue his favorite pastimes—doubles tennis and kayaking. However, when his osteoarthritis worsened in both knees, the pain limited his activities. (read more)

Bill Tipton

When 31-year-old Teleka Tillman moved to Brunswick from Atlanta, she would have preferred to leave behind years of pain from uterine fibroids. Doctors in Atlanta told her that the fibroids were very small and not likely to get bigger. Unfortunately, they were wrong. (read more)

Teleka Tillman

When Gary Willis injured his right leg in a lawn mowing accident in June 2012, the retired bank executive thought he could treat the wound himself. However, the wound grew worse, and after several weeks Gary knew it was time to see a doctor. (read more)

Gary Willis

When Caroline Wassing received the news that her lung cancer had recurred for a third time and she was facing the prospect of yet another invasive surgery, she wondered if she had the strength to go on. "The idea of going through the pain and healing process all over again was almost too much to bear," she says. (read more)

Carolyn Wassing

Paulette Cooner, a 68-year old Kingsland resident, says she had never been good about self-breast exams, but one Sunday morning in November 2011, she was taking a shower and God told her she should check her breasts. When she did, she found a very large, hard lump. Paulette was surprised since her mammogram had come back normal only five months earlier. "My heart was racing but I didn't tell anyone until after church, and then I asked my husband if he would check my breast and he found it immediately," she says. (read more)

Paulette Cooner

Any woman would be alarmed if she developed a lump in her breast, but for 47-year old Karen Harrison of Brunswick, it was a special cause for concern. Both her mother and grandmother died from breast cancer. (read more)

Karen Harrison

Helen Quinn, a 74 year-old St. Marys resident, wasn't too concerned when she found a lump in her breast in July 2012, because she previously had fibrocystic breasts, a common condition that produces benign lumps in many women. However, she went to her gynecologist anyway, and James Gowen, M.D., of Southeast Georgia Physician Associates-Obstetrics & Gynecology, a strategic associate of Southeast Georgia Health System, immediately sent her in for a mammogram and breast ultrasound. Shortly after that, she had a breast biopsy, and it came back positive for cancer. "Everything happened so fast that I didn't really have time to get scared. But then, I have my faith and my family and friends to depend on," she says. (read more)

Helen Quinn

Dora Francis, a Brunswick mother of two, was 36 years old in the summer of 2012 when she first discovered the lump in her right breast. She was putting her 14-month old son to bed and inadvertently brushed her hand against her right breast when she felt it. The next day she made an appointment with her gynecologist to get it checked. Within a few weeks, she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. (read more)

Dora Francis

Cancer never comes at a good time. St. Simons Island resident Carole Nolan found that out in August 2012 when she discovered a lump in her breast about two weeks before she was scheduled for shoulder surgery to repair a painful rotator cuff. (read more)

Carole Nolan

>Barbara Ann Ross, a 49-year old Brunswick resident, has some advice for those who are facing cancer. "You've got to fight it with everything you've got and take everything that is available to you," she says. That is exactly what Barbara did when a mammogram revealed a lump in her left breast that tested positive for cancer in June 2012. (read more)

Barbara Ann Ross