Southeast Georgia Health System Opening New Breast Care Center
BRUNSWICK, Georgia: Sept. 30, 2009—Southeast Georgia Health System is pleased to announce the opening of the new Breast Care Center on its Brunswick Campus on October 12, 2009. Women will now have access to comprehensive breast health services under one roof, in a soothing and comfortable environment.
Along with providing the most advanced imaging technology, the new comprehensive Center will offer education to women about breast health and the importance of early detection. In 2008, nearly 5,000 new cases of breast cancer were recorded in the state, with more than 1,000 women dying from the disease. According to the American Cancer Society, mammography screenings are believed to save thousands of lives each year by detecting breast cancer early.
The new Breast Care Center will offer comprehensive services, including:
- Digital mammography
- Breast MRI for high-risk women (Available December 2009)
- Breast ultrasound
- MRI-guided breast biopsy (Available December 2009/January 2010)
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI)
- Computer-aided software that double checks mammography images and highlights the smallest suspicious areas
- Self-breast exam instruction using MammaCare® models
- A dedicated resource center and library
Additionally, a Breast Care Center coordinator will provide a single point of contact for patients, the physicians, and professional staff, allowing for a seamless continuum of care.
The Center’s physicians are breast health specialists in the areas of pathology, radiology, radiation oncology, general surgery, and hematology/oncology. Their years of experience and expertise make the new Breast Care Center at Southeast Georgia Health System a regional leader in diagnosis and treatment.
For more information, call 1-800-537-5142, extension 5202 or visit www.sghs.com.