Health System Receives Grant from Komen Coastal Georgia Affiliate for Second Year

BRUNSWICK, Georgia: April 16, 2012 – The Coastal Georgia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $45,000 grant to Southeast Georgia Health System for the "Mammograms in Motion" project.

Led by the Health System, "Mammograms in Motion" is a collaboration with local county health departments to provide breast health education and outreach, mammograms and diagnostic breast work-up services to uninsured and medically underserved individuals residing in Camden, Glynn, Long and McIntosh counties.

The Health System will supplement community outreach in the targeted counties through greater collaboration with the area health departments, participation in community health fairs and distribution of educational materials with an emphasis on breast health.

"We are thrilled to have been selected for the second year as a recipient of this grant from the Coastal Georgia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure," says DelRia Baisden, vice president, Southeast Georgia Health System. "Mammograms in Motion places special emphasis on reaching out to individuals in rural areas who have limited access to health care and health education by using our Wellness On Wheels (WOW)."

The WOW is a mobile health vehicle outfitted with digital screening mammography, bone density screening, blood pressure and blood glucose testing capability. It was purchased primarily with funds donated from the Health System Foundation.

"To meet needs we have discovered right here in our community, this year’s grant slate specifically addresses the medically underserved and underinsured population in our nine coastal counties," says Beth Desloges, outreach coordinator for the Coastal Georgia Affiliate. "In our 2011 Community Profile, we highlighted a need for mammograms and educational services for persons living in rural communities with limited access to health care services. We are confident that the Mammograms in Motion program will help address these needs by providing greater access to breast care services for people living in rural counties."

For more information about the Southeast Georgia Health System Breast Care Center or the Mammograms in Motion grant, call 912-466-5234 or visit sghs.org and click on "Our Services." To learn when the WOW Mobile Health Vehicle will be in your area, please call 912-466-5164.

About Southeast Georgia Health System Southeast Georgia Health System is a not-for-profit, tobacco-free health care system with multiple locations and services. The Health System has served the residents and visitors of the beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia and surrounding areas of Southeast Georgia since 1888. Headquartered in the historic port city of Brunswick, the Health System serves the health care needs of residents from eight counties in Southeast Georgia - Brantley, Camden, Charlton, Glynn, Long, McIntosh, Pierce, and Wayne. For more information call 912-466-7000 or visit www.sghs.org.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Coastal Georgia Affiliate

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Komen Coastal Georgia Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Savannah Race for the Cure, the Coastal Georgia Affiliate has invested $775,000 in community breast cancer programs in Coastal Georgia. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the Coastal Georgia area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 912-232-2535 or visit www.komencoastalgeorgia.org.