Health System Marks Official Unveiling of Miriam & Hugh Nunnally Maternity Care Center
BRUNSWICK, Georgia: Oct. 7, 2010– Southeast Georgia Health System celebrated the official unveiling of the Miriam & Hugh Nunnally Maternity Center last week with multiple events for team members, invited guests and members of the community. The Center, located on the Health System’s Brunswick Campus, underwent a 6,500 square foot expansion and major renovation to provide new mothers and their families with a more comfortable, technologically advanced setting to welcome their babies into the world.
Following special tours for Health System team members on Monday, Sept. 27, more than 300 guests attended a special ribbon cutting celebration on Tuesday, Sept. 28. Members of the Nunnally family were honored during the event for their generous support of the Health System and given a private tour of the newly renovated and expanded Maternity Care Center prior to the event. A portrait of Mr. Nunnally and his late wife Miriam was unveiled during the ceremony, as was a specially commissioned sculpture by local artist Christophe Goodstein titled “Mother and Child.” Both works of art will be predominately displayed in the main lobby of the Center.
The week’s events culminated on Saturday, Oct. 2, with a community open house that included tours, refreshments and door prizes. Features of the renovated and expanded Center include:
- 24 all private Labor, Delivery, Recovery, & Postpartum (LDRP) rooms that allow for baby to room-in with mother. Each room features a baby warmer bed for immediate newborn care, a flat screen television with built-in DVD player and a full size sleeper for guests.
- Children’s Courtyard with whimsical animal forms and landscaping and a safe play surface made of recycled tires
- Adults’ Courtyard featuring a water fountain and lush garden for relaxation and meditation
- Two renovated operating rooms with upgraded finishes and improved surgery support space and access
- Enlarged Level II Nursery to allow families more space and peaceful moments with new babies who need additional monitoring
- Coolidge Lactation Resource Center for private pumping, breastfeeding, education and support for Health System employees and members of the public
- Light and airy new waiting areas that reflect imagery of our local natural environment
For more information about the new Miriam & Hugh Nunnally Maternity Care Center and the Health System’s other services, visit www.sghs.com.