Free Medication Reviews Offered at Health Fair
Seventy percent of all Americans take one medication per day, and more than half take at least two. While medicines help us get well, improperly used, they can also make us sick. Experts report that the likelihood of medication errors occurring decreases substantially when patients are well-informed about their medications.
Southeast Georgia Health System is offering the community an opportunity to meet with pharmacists for a one-on-one discussion of their medication regimen during the Community Health and Wellness Fair on September 6, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., at the Camden Campus Medical Plaza, 2060 Dan Proctor Drive, St. Marys, Ga.
To participate, put all of your medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, in a brown bag and bring them with you to the health fair. A pharmacist will privately discuss any concerns or questions you may have about your medications and vitamins, as well as herbal and food supplements, and how these medications and supplements might interact or limit effectiveness.
To better prepare for the discussion, think about the questions you might wish to ask during the medication review:
(1) How will this medication help me?
(2) What side effects might occur?
(3) What are the long-term affects if I use the medication for an extended period of time?
(4) How do all of my medications interact together, and is my regimen safe?
(5) Should I avoid any foods or beverages while taking the medicine?
(6) What is the best time of the day to take each medication?
(7) Should I take the medicine on an empty stomach, in the morning or evening, and how often?
(8) How long should it take for the medication to start working, and what should I expect when this happens?
"Our goal is to ensure individuals understand their medications and are taking medications correctly and safely," says Kevin Smiley, PharmD, pharmacy manager, Camden Campus.
For more information about the Community Health and Wellness Fair, visit sghs.org/healthfair, or call toll-free 855-ASK-SGHS (855-275-7447).